Thursday 3 June 2010

taste

When do you start feeling old? I feel young, childish and stupid. I'm out. And in a drunken haze I scour the floor - try to feel confident, quite the big man. And I sit and stare and as the seconds tick by, the painful loneliness begins to claw its way in. Odd one out again, perfect. Everyone else is in pairs and here I sit feeling quite along, cradling my drink as if it's the only friend I have in the world. I sit and search, someone to connect with - someone to feel, to sink my nails into. Someone who might care. And the vodka doesn't seem to do the desired effect, it doesn't make me edgy or straight - it blurs me and I slump and wonder what the fuck I'm even doing here. And I'm pulled along, outside where the air is clouded and cold and it feels amazing. I light up and sigh, trying to get my head on straight. Think, just think. Just...

And then I see her, smaller than me - lip piercing shining and I just stare. The vodka abandons me and I look at my friends, pleading for help. I can't do this. I'm too drunk and too shy and I can't do anything right. I stare at her again, she has dark hair. It's hidden by a hat. She's cute. I like her. I look to my friends again and they help me out. She seems cautious. I shake my head, trying to convince her. There's no catches, please please - just one taste. No catch at all. I'm just shy and hoping for a fix - a simple thing. How do you taste?

And she tastes... delicious.

Amanda, you tasted delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment